Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cora's sleeping!


So, I was just looking over Cora's sleep chart tonight and realizing that she, the baby who used to fuss-if-not-scream every time we put her in bed, has cried at bedtime very little in the past week! It seems unbelievable that just 3 weeks ago we were struggling at every nap--rolling her bassinet back and forth for 10 minutes or more, playing the music boxes or humming, and her naps were short and inconsistent. It wasn't ALL bad: bedtime seemed okay, and although she was waking every 2 or 3 hours to nurse, she was going back to bed quietly each time. But I finally got frustrated and tired enough with the napping trouble (Isaac was always such an easy napper!) that I begged a friend to loan me her much-loved copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child."

A lot of the author's wisdom is stuff I already knew and common sense, but in my fog of sleep deprivation, I lacked perspective and direction. After reading, I decided to
1) put Cora down at 6 instead of 7 or 7:30 (with Isaac)
2) solidify a regular bedtime routine (which we kind of already had)
3) hardest: let her cry

The first night was rotten. She woke 4 or 5 times and cried for who-knows-how-long each time. Probably not more than 10 minutes per wakening, but an eternity to the unhappy mom. But as with most of the families who give testimonials in the book, the crying period was very brief--for us, just ONE night. In just a couple of days, she was re-trained, the naps settled into place (napping at 9 and 1 for 1.5 to 2 hours each time), and now she rarely cries when we put her in bed! When she wakes at night, she cries for a minute or two and then goes back to sleep. I'm thrilled to "pay" the one hard night in exchange for who-knows-how-many-months of difficulty (and tears from both baby and mama!). Now we're all sleeping so much better, and I'm feeling so much more sane.


No comments: